StevenWhiting.com

A place for info I've learnt in IT & stuff. (I get a little kick back from affiliate ads & links, just so you are aware)

Browsing Posts in IT Notes

Our hosts decided to reboot. Only one of the hosts wouldn’t start VMs. They’d sit there fine while off but attempt to start them and they’d fail.

“Virtual machine ‘VM Name’ could not be started because hypervisor is not running.”

Turns out this is because of Windows update

KB5009624

KB5009595

Are the cause. Uninstall and all will be fine.

wusa /uninstall /kb:5009595 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:5009624 /quiet /norestart

You’ll probably need to do a restart but you might want to control it rather than the command doing it.

Probably a good idea to remove from WSUS for now if still using WSUS.

Computer Config\Policies\Admin Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update\Do not connect to any Windows Update Internet Locations

We set this to enable but, as it says, it has the knock on effect that no one can download apps from the Windows Store when enabled. But we enabled this because via the Windows Store you can bypass WSUS and install Windows updates. Which someone did back when an old build of Windows 10 was released that was bricking machines. Lucky the 3 users that had managed to install it, via the Windows Store, were OK but had to rebuild their machines after.

OST viewer

Have used before. It’s very good and free.

https://www.nucleustechnologies.com/ost-viewer.html

Adverts

UPDATE – I’ve changed the Amazon links to point to the Smile charity Amazon links instead so I don’t get anything but a charity will. More info about Smile Amazon here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202035970

Sorry about the adverts. I needed to put them on to try and fund the site. Feel free to put an adblock on if you wish. I’d rather you didn’t as would help with the hosting fees (which have gone up) but I understand if you wish to disable them.

If you’d like to donate, I’d be grateful 🙂

PayPal Donation. Fanks :o)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/sysinternals-suite

The nice people at my hosting helped me fixed this, Krystal. As I thought it might be an issue at their end but turns out it wasn’t. Most other providers wouldn’t of bothered fixing this as it was my issue, not theirs.

It was a rogue plugin. Rename the plugin folder on your WordPress via FTP or Cpanel. Then you should be able to get into admin. Rename plugin back to what it was which should bring back all plugins but they will be disabled. Then turn them on, one by one, till you find the one causing the issue.

Bad Behaviour was the one causing this. I note it hasn’t been update for months and not tested with the version of WordPress I’m on so I’ve left it disabled.

Run CMD as admin and just type as follows

REG ADD “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Chrome” /v IncognitoModeAvailability /t REG_DWORD /d 00000002

Other interesting reg settings


https://www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3